3 Day Western Explorer Tour
WALL IN THE WILDERNESS
GORDON RIVER CRUISE
Day 1 – Hobart to Strahan
- Hotel pickup 8:30am.
- Scenic drive through Derwent Valley and visit antique shops in New Norfolk.
- Quick stop in historic Hamilton for local produce at Jackson emporium.
- Visit and experience Tarraleah an historic hydro electric town and watch the water flow uphill.
- View the continuously changing sculpture of Huon pine at The Wall.
- Stretch the legs with a 30 minute walk through forest to Nelson Falls.
- Survive the famous downhill road from Gormanston to Queenstown and take a tour through the West Coast Wilderness Railway and then tackle the 99 bends from Queenstown to Strahan.
- Take a stroll through the post card esplanade of Strahan Village.
Lunch: Recommended at The Wall (At own cost).
Dinner: We recommend Bushmans Restaurant at Strahan Village (At own cost).
Accommodation: Strahan Village, hilltop terrace (Breakfast included).
Day 2 – Strahan to Cradle Mountain
- Meet at 8:00am at Spirit of the Wild – Gordon River Cruise.
- Voyage across Macquarie Harbour and feel the power of the Southern Ocean at Hells Gates. Explore Sarah Island.
- Glide past ancient rainforests and admire the perfect reflections of the Gordon River. Walk ashore to see the 2000 year old Huon Pine.
- Enjoy the local food and beverage served in the Premium Upper Deck of the new RACT Spirit of the Wild boat.
- Pass through operational mining towns such as Rosebery and across the picturesque Lake Tullah, full of trout in the season.
- Overnight stay at Cradle Mountain National Park to experience the incredible World Heritage Area.
- Evening time in Cradle Mountain to relax and explore at your own pace. Tasmanian native animals hide during the day and come out during the evening. Opportunities to see Wombats, Wallabies, Kangaroos, Possums and Quolls. After 5pm is the best time to be in Cradle Mountain the area comes alive.
Lunch: Included in cruise.
Dinner: There’s limited options in Cradle Mountain. We recommend Altitude restaurant at Cradle Mountain Hotel (At own cost).
Accommodation: Cradle Mountain Hotel, standard room (Breakfast included).
Day 3 – Cradle Mountain to Hobart
- Hotel pickup 8:30am.
- There’s Dove Lake Walk (easy, 2hrs), Marion’s Lookout (steep, 3hrs) or the gentle Pencil Pines Walk, Enchanted Walk, Waldheim Chalet and Weindorfers Forest Walk.
- Scenic town of Westbury: a visit to the Honey Farm for tastings of Tasmania’s pure honey and the eclectic Tiger Bar at Mole Creek Hotel.
- We take the scenic alpine and lake road on your return trip to Hobart.
Lunch: Taken at the iconic and quirky Mole Creek Hotel. (At own cost)
Dinner: There are numerous options in Hobart, discuss with your guide (At own cost).
Accommodation: Please advise if you want assistance with booking this nights accommodation.
Additional Days, What to Bring & Other Information
Add extra days and spend more time in the locations of your choice – just contact us and have a conversation about modification of your tour.
Maximum of 11 guests per tour. Larger private groups can be accommodated.
The weather can be unpredictable in Tasmania and the evenings can be very cold. Warm jackets, gloves and beanies are recommended.
Bring sturdy walking shoes. We are commonly on unpaved paths.
Bring your cameras and phone chargers. Tasmania is stunningly beautiful and you’d hate to miss that photo opportunity.
Bring a healthy enthusiasm for a lot of fun and exploring new experiences.
Please read our Terms & Conditions before booking.